Culebra

Forums Public forums Brug Reviews Culebra

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    tiG

beautiful Jeremiah. They love October!!!

Maggidew

Yeah, and mine was doing OK, Carter, until about a week ago. It went belly up, suddenly and completely. I’d like to try it again, though. Keep me in mind if you get the urge to cut yours again.

Georgia

I just love the whole shaggy look of the plant . Great job!

nweissma

the culebra is beautiful.

where can i obtain it? does it overwinter well?

thanks.

/s/ neal weissman

Paul

Hi Neal!

I have a small one, but is growing wonderfully. I will see if I can get you one in the spring/early summer.

Paul

Joelle

Really nice!

TeresaInCAL

I found this info from an Ebay auction. Anyone know if it’s true? :

Culebra or Culebra borrachera (Snake Intoxicant) is a very unique and rare Angel’s Trumpet from only one area in the Sibundoy Valley of Columbia. This most unusual Brugmansia was discovered in the 1940’s by the esteemed Harvard botanist Dr. Richard Evans Schultes who was in the area doing a government study on potential rubber sources as part of the war effort. Dr. Schultes found this variety growing in the garden of a local Shaman who called it Culebra due to it’s serpent like leaves. Schultes found this plant so vastly different from other Angel’s Trumpets that he gave it it’s own genus and named the species Methysticodendron amesianum. The great botanist and protégé’ of Schultes, Tim Plowman later reclassified it back into the genus Brugmansia as a mutant form of B. aurea. This distinct cultivar is still grown in the region by shamans and is used in a myriad of medicinal preparations for such conditions as rheumatism and epilepsy. It is also employed as an antibiotic/antifungal. Culebra is also employed by shamans in various magical/ ceremonial concoctions. Culebra has long narrow leaves unlike any other Brugmansia and even more interesting are the flowers which have individual, separate petals as opposed to forming the well known trumpet shape of other varieties. This variety is a true cultivar and never produces seed. It is grown solely from cuttings which can be difficult to establish. This is indeed one of the rarest and most highly sought Brugmansias among collectors. It is truly a strikingly beautiful plant and deserves to be more widely available.

Participant
    Patricia Watson

Gorgeous, I can’t believe I have never had this one before.

Koop

do the flowers actually have ” individual, separate petals”? Can’t really tell from the photographs. If it does that would be a very strange mutation.

Paul

both of mine did not make it this past winter. Another finicky one like Rothkirch, for me at least.

dodsky

I have somehow managed to keep this one alive in my sunroom over the winter. I really babied it and kept it in a warm spot. It did drop a fair number of leaves and was attacked by spider mites, but it’s putting on a growth spurt now that the daylight hours are longer and the sun is stronger. My plant is only about 6″ tall, it IS a very slow grower! A standard brug would probably be at least 2′ tall by now.

I usually don’t go to so much trouble trying to grow such a finicky plant, but this one is so unusual I thought it would be worth the effort.

BelgianKnight

I imported Culebra from long enough in the past that I was one of the only people with Culebra…I had paid over 200$ to get a single Culebra before that. This one is extremely easy to take care of as long as you remember not to water too much. This is indeed a collector’s dream and grows wonderfully in Florida.

mario

are there some update on those culebra's?

Dawna

I have Culebra and a couple new ones I just acquired from JT.

I love Culebra. Slow grower for me but stays a nice manageable size. Blooms only in late summer or fall and will never ever accept pollen!

mario

at this moment i gef 3 culebra's butt small ones,2 off them made flowers in 2010,thy still looks great.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services. Please update your bookmarks for this site.