Where is everybody??

Forums Public forums Announcements Where is everybody??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Spectator
    rhapsody616

This is the hub for all Brug Lover!   Where is everybody?  There are so many new goodies, I am surprised there is no chatter like there use to be.  I am always fighting with this new form.  Hopefully I have the password thing evened out!! I hope.

Keymaster
    Alvin

I hope so too, Rhapsody.   It took me forever to get used to this new forum & I still can’t figure out the messaging system at all.

I fear that Facebook/Tweeter, etc pretty much took over the world.   I still refuse to go there.

I try to keep an eye out here though!

There are SO MANY NEW (Especially European) Brugs today!    Of course, with new COVID restrictions, it’s even more impossible to get brugs across the oceans.

Spectator
    Katmandhu

Hi! I just joined and am looking forward to learning all about Brugs. I bought a small Yellow potted cutting and it has been in the ground (Zone 9B, Florida) for a week or so & doing well. I also am starting some white seeds I bought from Richter’s in Canada. After soaking and peeling to cork off, I ended up with 8 seeds, which went into a mini greenhouse yesterday. (My fingers are crossed!) I have a few more seeds coming from Amazon, so I have my doubts, which is why I joined here! I think I have Iochroma seeds coming too, even if they were marked Brugmansia, because they are blue. I don’t know what to expect because I have no idea what these type of seeds are supposed to look like. Hope to meet many and pester you all for advice! ~ Kat

Keymaster
    Alvin

WELCOME Katmandhu!

Not a problem!   We LOVE it ALL!

IF the flowers are blue, they will have to be Iochroma.   We still have no such thing as a blue Brugmansia.   (We would LOVE to have one though).   And Iochroma seeds are so much smaller than Brugmansias – OR Daturas.   Please keep in touch and let us know what’s happening with your seeds and seedlings!!!!   !!!

I assure you that we are very  interested.

Spectator
    Katmandhu

Many thanks Alvin! I guess I will start my new friends with the alphabet – A for Alvin, LOL!
    Yes, the Iochroma seeds are much smaller! They arrived today with extras, so may try to put some in the ground and see. A friend down the road keeps promising me a pink cutting. For me the hardest part is hardening seedlings off in Florida for transplant from inside to outdoors.  Nice to meet you! ~ Kat

Spectator
    Bernhard

The people are still here. But: If a website is undergoing a reconstruction for months, if in this time access lasts at least two eternities, when the elementary functions of a forum like read and reply are not working at all, if people do not know if they are still member or not, why are you asking? I stopped visiting this site after some time when nothing happened, when nobody of the responsible people answered a request. For a certain time I did not know whether I was still a member of BGI or not and I must say, that this is not professional. No doubt: People are moving to other locations to share their pictures and experiences and not on a site that did not work good enough after several months. Sorry,  BGI-site was a horror for me since many months and I stopped visiting. Tomorrow I am trying a last time to share knowledge and I am waiting for other people to join the discussion. If not, this site won`t see me again except the registration of new cultivars.

Spectator
    Bernhard

@Alvin: The FB-site has no topic since march 2018, more than 3 years. It is not a qestion of new media, it is a question of dedicated people running a website. I am wondering if the BGI-site can be activated again. Years ago I liked so much the conversation with some wonderful people I met here, but nothing in the last years.

Spectator
    Katmandhu

Yikes! Sites do need updating and being current with Internet protocal. I hope it gets fixed so some of the “regulars” come back. Being new to Brugmansia, I’ve found the old posts and the pictures very helpful.

Yesterday I received a rooted cutting from TN. She called it “Black Currant” but that is not a cultivar here. The flowers are white with a purple fringe. I was quite surprised that it has two buds on it. I thought I was going to put it directly in the ground but, on second thought thinking I should wait to see if the buds open and not disturb it. I’m thinking that the cutting had to have been off of a branch that had vee’d. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks ~ Kat

Spectator
    Bernhard

Datura Black currant swirl, no Brugmansia. Put it in the ground directly, very tolerant plants.

Spectator
    Katmandhu

Many thanks Bernhard! I’m off to the garden!!!

Keymaster
    Alvin

You’re right, Bernhard.

Datura metel ‘Black Currant Swirl’ is no longer in our Galleries.   I have no idea where it all went.  We lost SO MUCH.

The website crash was devastating.  it has taken ages just to get back to where we are now.

We’ll keep working on it.

Participant
    WayneM

I really hope the forum picks up,  I joined at a fantastic time when there was so much knowledge and cooperation between members.   A real community.

Not sure what the answer 🤔 is, but maybe if the forums were opened up to the public, whilst paid membership for continues registering Brugmansia and Datura ?

I don’t know if this would cover the running costs 🤔  but meanwhile  I’ll keep mentioning #brugmansiagrowersintl on Instagram where I post pictures 📷 of brugmansia and my subtropical plant’s under @ilike2brugit.  I understand a Instagram account for BGI would be easy to set up.

For me Instagram is just a tool for celebrating blooms, but its pretty shallow compared to a forum where you can share and learn.

Wayne

Instagram ilike2brugit

Spectator
    Bright Feather

Hi Kat, this is Bright Feather, I am in Florida too, so hi neighbor! We might already know each other from one of the brugmansia groups on FaceBook.

Spectator
    Katmandhu

Hi Bright Feather! I’m between Daytona & Orlando. How about you?

Quick update. My yellow cutting is growing very well and hoping it blooms this year.  I have 9 pinks that are rooted, but can’t plant them yet. My white seeds never germinated, but I think the window wasn’t sunny enough. I’ll try more seeds with a grow light.

Spectator
    Jack Broderick

Hi everyone, I just joined BGI this year and hope to see some more activity too. I’m so excited to have received some D. wrightii from the seed bank, and have some great double/triple yellow and double purple blooming this year but I would absolutely love to get my hands on some of the incredible D. metel varieties I’ve seen pictures of on this website!! Especially box of chocolates or the frilly lizard. I have a brugmansia noid but just graduated college so am donating it this fall so that I can move as soon as I get a job. I’m glad to see that a few others are still active!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services.

Please update your bookmarks for this site.