Apricot Riese

Forums Public forums Brug Reviews Apricot Riese

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pambi

This almost feels presumptuous, since I only have two small cuttings to observe right now.
    I know there are several others that have much more experience with AR than I do, but I could never find a Review on her.
    So, I’ll start ! haha
    PLEASE ADD YOUR OBSERVATIONS ?!?

Received two great, woody, rooted cuttings from BigAl in Fall ’05, which I potted up within a week. They both went into the same 1gal pot, to save room. They never even dropped any leaves through the winter in our springhouse, and often had budlets which soon dropped off… totally expected for the season and the swings in OUR winter conditions.
    Even with signs of mites on some others, I don’t recall seeing any on these guys.
    At about 24″ tall, they were moved outside around the end of March, and one cutting had 1-2″ buds. Those held up through alot of winds, and I’m posting a pic of her first-day bloom, after having opened outdoors last evening, @ about 95F ! YAY. Sort of a “brug+citrus” perfume ! YUM !!
    Inside, @ around 78F all day, she’s remained opened (no scent), and the second bloom appears to be unfurling, slowly, too !! Cool beans !!
    More details to follow, as I watch my new favorite do her thing !
    (I’ve harvested her pollen, and this one has been crossed with Pink Velvet)

apricot_riese_d.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous

err… “rotted” cuttings? Methinks “rooted’, perhaps? lol!

Keymaster
    Alvin

Happy for you Pambi! I never noticed that there was no “Brug Review” on Apricot Riese. Thanks for starting this. I got my original cuttings from JT – three of them – and grew them in different locations in my gardens last year. One in mostly shade – maybe two hours of sun mid-day. The other two in full sun – one in humousy manured soil and the other in sandier soil. All three performed marvelously for me with little noticeable difference. The fragrance was noticable accross the yard and they were among the first brugs to bloom and were very generous with flowers. The blossom has smooth, round curves and looks almost as if it is inflated with air.

The first day, the blooms were bright white, then the second day, apricot.

The blooms last well too.

ApRs8-17-12a.JPG
    ApRs8-16-12.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Pambi

I’d taken a couple of pics this morning, as she colors up, but they didn’t turn out so great.. hehe.. more later.

BUT, I think this is an OK place to ask a question about her genepool… so the info is in this thread.

Since there is no information about her parentage that I can locate, can someone please tell me WHICH species/cultivar is indicated by her downward-turning tendrils ? I’ve loaned out my Priessel book, and I’m not even certain the answer is in there.. is it?

DH remarked that the tendrils look like the claws of one angry cat ! HAHA.

:idunno: Any help ?

Just hope to learn more about what to expect in the hybridizing process.

TIA

Almost forgot: it sure smells GREAT in here ! LOL

TeresaInCAL

I got a nice one from RAM at our Fall swap last year. It’s blooming pretty good now, although I can’t show you a pic (computer problems). It’s nice and fat, as Al said “looks like it’s inflated with air. The smell is FANTASTIC! Nice sized blooms too.

THANKS RAM!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services.

Please update your bookmarks for this site.