So Many Firsts And General Chit Chat

Forums Public forums So Many Firsts And General Chit Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    *Tuinfairy*

WOW Gilly, you sure do have an addiction; look at all those brugs!  Amazing!!!!!  Just simply amazing and SO beautiful!  I can imagine what that smells like when they are in bloom!  You are blessed.

Wayne, your pictures are stunning!  You have done such an amazing job landscaping!  Your cactus sitting area and your yucca is just beautiful and so serene!  I also LOVE blue in the garden, it’s my favorite garden color.

I am SO taken back by all the beautiful pictures and plants that you both grow and the way you have them displayed.  I have been just purchasing and plopping.  I need to do some type of design but I haven’t reached that point yet.

I am so tickled that you both shared your gardens today 🙂  Woot!

GREAT GROWING BOTH OF YOU!

Kim

Participant
    WayneM

Landscaping, I wish,  but thankyou.

It’s just like a stage set, moving pots around, plunging in raised beds ,and planting hardy plants that can take English winter.

Some gets left out and wrapped,  the dry garden I make a temporary shelter over the slope. Being mostly desert plants they take the cold but can’t deal with freezing rain.

I have two greenhouses for the brugs and some sub tropical plants like red banana from Ethiopia.  The other two bananas are from Japan and can be wrapped to protect the stem, and the cannas ,dahlias, gingers get lifted and stored somewhere dry. The Oleanders can take some cold but in the greenhouse you can be sure that they will flower their socks off,lol.?

The palms are from China, so can take cold temps and Cordylines are quite hardy here too.  I suppose it’s helps we have a microclimate here near the airport,  houses flats, concrete ,all radiate heat.

Really enjoying everyone’spics,  I’ll post some more after my evening drenching of the garden.

Wayne

Instagram ilike2brugit

Participant
    WayneM

2nd go at posting..here’s goes with some pics

Delosperma..or ice plants..love em…need your sunglasses on.

Agapanthus….do like a blue

Eucomis or Pineapple Lily planted amongst Cannas Tithonia Torch..another one that requires sunglasses

Instagram ilike2brugit

Participant
    WayneM

Agave Bracteosa or The Squid Agave..with Agavoides in bowls

Sago palm happily just flushed ..another one that needs fleece over the winter, but its worth it

Tried to post more..but its not having it,grr!

Wayne

Instagram ilike2brugit

*Tuinfairy*

Wow Wayne, your plants are incredible!

I LOVE ice plant too!  In fact, I have some seed started right now.  I have tried so many times to grow it and have never had good luck.  Yours are just stunning!

I’m jealous of your beautiful sago palm!  I have 2 and they are so shabby looking.  Yours is so lush and full!

You truly have a tropical paradise!!!  SOOO pretty!

Kim

Participant
    rudy625

Looks like a botanical garden Wayne. Your pics are stunning. Everything looks so lush.

Dan

Keymaster
    Alvin

Such Bright colors !  Love them all.

I’ve really got to try Delosperma soon.  I’ve wanted to for a long time; just never got around to it.

Participant
    gillyp01

You know what Wayne, your garden just looks fabulous! so much so that I might just turn up for ‘a tour’ one day! (what’s a couple of hours on the motorway between friends eh!!! LOL)

However…beware, you have lots of plants that I would love to be able to grow so if you spot a shovel lurking in my car, or if I turn up in  the one with the big trunk, there is bound to be some ‘skulduggery’ at foot!!!! LOL 😉

Participant
    WayneM

Got a few pics to share  of the weird and wonderful

Agapanthus Lilac blue

Not in my garden , but plant given to friend flowering

Ginger Tara

Kniphofia Uvaria

Oleander..grown from a cutting from my Mum’s garden

Instagram ilike2brugit

Participant
    WayneM

Dahlia

In the conservatory a Gloriosa Vine or The Fire Lily

Convolvulus/Morning Glory

My Aloe Fan /Plicatilis has flowered which is amazing in our climate, and the flower is great

and another Oleander, Rosea that smells very nice

Instagram ilike2brugit

*Tuinfairy*

Wayne, your pictures and the plants you are growing are absolutely stunning!!

Sooooo beautiful!

Great way to start the day!

Participant
    gillyp01

Wayne…your photography skills just get better and better. I agree Kim both plants and photos are totally stunning.

We would love to see how your is garden coming along Kim? Can we have some more photos please?;)

*Tuinfairy*

I have to be honest Gilly, I have been a bit disheartened lately regarding my  brugmansia growing ability.

I have lost almost all of the seeds that I received from the fund and not one of the crosses that I attempted took 🙁  I thought I lost all the seeds because I soaked and peeled them so I ordered a cross from Liz and didn’t soak and peel them to see if it was my method.  So far not one of those have sprouted either.  I am finding them very difficult to start from seed.  This has made me think, why bother trying to hybridize if I can’t even get the seed to sprout?

I did purchase 4 cuttings from Liz though and all 4 of the cuttings are putting out new growth which is exciting.

With the house being here now I have been quite busy setting up home and  moving furniture etc.  We won’t be able to move in permanently for a bit yet as it still needs plumbing, electrical work etc. but it’s been nice being able to move the furniture in.  Yesterday I made new curtains for the master bathroom.  Although the house came with curtains, I wanted a tropical print in the bathroom.  I was tickled with how they came out.

So needless to say, I haven’t really had much time to play plants and have been feeling a bit overwhelmed, disheartened and exhausted.  On top of that, it’s been almost a year since I have seen my daughter and we have never been apart this long.  It’s been a long haul Gilly and I’m beat.  I cannot wait to sleep in my bed.  I plan to sleep for a week! *lol*

Kim

Participant
    WayneM

Kim

Keep trying different ways, different soil mediums, light, nothing is impossible.

Keep your chin up, and can only imagine how good it will be to have a proper bed back. Bet it cant come too soon.

Wayne

Instagram ilike2brugit

Participant
    gillyp01

Kim, Please don’t be disheartened. We all go through the same. Sometimes you get a batch of seeds and all of them germinate (and you don’t know what you are going to do with them all!) and other times they don’t. If the seeds are a little older it can be more difficult to get a result. Keeps trying. Honestly it’s not your ability its just they way it goes. I only part peel my seeds and don’t soak them. In my view I give them a chance to germinate with the part peeling but, by not soaking them, find that only the strongest come through. Try it and see what happens.

I can understand totally that you are pooped!! You have got so much going on but at least you will have a lovely home and have spent time with your daughter.

Sometimes it is tempting to try to do too much and keeping ‘all of the balls in the air’ can be overwhelming.

Like Wayne said keep your chin up. It will all come good in the end for you.

Gill x

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services.

Please update your bookmarks for this site.