Hurstwood Elinor

Forums Public forums Hurstwood Elinor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    WayneM

Happily Alan’s Ashworth’s Hurstwood Elinor made it through the winter in the greenhouse and rewarded me with 3 blooms.

Hope Alan is looking in,  beautiful Brugmansia.

Wayne

Instagram ilike2brugit

Keymaster
    Alvin

Well, She’s GORGEOUS !!

I DO hope Allan’s looking in !   She is a Most Beautiful Brugmansia!!!  Kudos ,  Alan !!

Spectator
    Bernhard

One of the few Sphaeros with fragrance. I like this very classic shape of  the blossoms, great one.

Spectator
    Melburnia

Greetings from the lockdown capital of Australia 🙂

I have a similar looking ‘cold brug’. Dunno what it’s called as I got it in a garage sale. Mine isn’t scented, not that I can tell.

But geez, every cabbage moth within a 10km radius flies specifically to my garden to lay their eggs on  it so their caterpillars can munch every single leaf!

I’ve attached I hope a photo of it. Close up so you can’t see those leaves

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Spectator
    Bernhard

Perfect form and for my liking a great color. You really managed to hide the leaves, lol. So bad that we cannot exchange any plants.

Spectator
    Melburnia

I hid the leaves the same way you hide the clutter when guests arrive unexpectedly! Here’s a photo of it showing the leaves. Actually, I’ve found a second photo of a plant that I threw out because I just could not stop the caterpillars from eating it. You can actually see one of them on the bud.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Spectator
    Melburnia

I’ve been industrious during our current lockdown and created a sort of screenhouse for this cold brug. It’s just one of those kit mini greenhouses that come with a zipper plastic covering. Instead of the plastic, I covered the frame with frost/exclusion netting. Just big enough to fit the potted plant. Although I might end up having to wire the branches when it reaches the sides. My own bonsai brug!

Didn’t think to take a photo before I sat down to write this but I’m hoping this will keep out all the chewing insects that have destroyed the leaves.Hate spraying poison and the natural alternatives just don’t work.

OT but I see my seeds are taking the scenic route. Via Japan lol

Participant
    WayneM

Good to see you protecting your baby, here in England the brugs go in a greenhouse ,but I also grow Agaves and every year I make a shelter from Polycarbonate sheeting and decking boards.  All because I like growing different 😌

Best Regards Wayne

Instagram ilike2brugit

Spectator
    Melburnia

If the exclusion netting works then I won’t be tempted to give away this cold brugmansia too!

I see my seeds are now in Melbourne, yay. Really can’t wait to get the arborea seeds in particular. Bought them multiple times from various sellers and places and either they never germinated, or the few times I got them to grow and flower they turned out to be just limp whites or creams, def. not the lovely shape and waxiness of the arborea. What a waste of my time! In fact, I thought these plants might be arboreas because their leaves looked different. Nothing was labelled, the gardner had died or gone into a nursing home and this was their adult children having a garage sale. So I ended up with these lilac brugmansias. But no arborea!

Agaves? Not the common ones? Oh, your;re in England. Agapanthus are still a little exotic there, aren’t they? While we here love the English style gardens that frizzle in our heat and need megalitres of water. (I love my Pat Austin roses but there summer blooms are tiny and frizzled. Glorious in early spring and mid autumn though.) Grass is always greener on the other side. Although it really IS greener in your neck of the woods lol

Participant
    WayneM

Nothing common about my agaves, lol 😆

Typically I don’t do the norm, and thTs how I like it

Instagram ilike2brugit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services.

Please update your bookmarks for this site.