• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Subscribers-American, CA, AU
  • Pip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Interests:All things gardening, horses and a million and one other things that catch my attention.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

We are almost in the middle of Winter here in Australia and I thought that you might like to see what's growing in my garden....Naturally the fruit trees and the deciduous shrubs and trees are losing their foliage, but there is still lots of colour....The Spring bulbs are just starting and soon there will be pockets of colour everywhere....
I don't think that the roses will be dormant for long this year, there are a couple that are still flowering and the ones that I have pruned are starting to shoot...

Starting with Just Joey, which is the palest I have ever seen it, not it's usual colour at all and my all time favourite Cornelia....the Dahlia above Cornelia is supposedly small growing,1.5mt...it's now over 2 and about 3mt wide....It's name is Timothy Hammet...I bought it because I couldn't fit a tree Dahlia in that spot....it is very beautiful so it can stay.

The perfume of the Wintersweet is amazing on a still day....such a funny little flower but so potent....this one grows in the shelter of a Donut peach.....

.Just Joey 003.JPG winter 3 009.JPG ] Dahlias1 007.JPG

Winter2012 027.JPG Wintersweet 004.JPG

#2 alistair

alistair

Registrar

• Pip
  • 2,466 posts
  • Location:Valle del Cauca, Colombia (zone 12b) & New South Wales, Australia (zone 10b)

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

Cornelia is a favourite of mine too, along with Clair Matin. They almost flower year round.

I LOVE that Dahlia! Where did you get it? Tree dahlias always get trashed by the wind here, just as they are about to flower, but that one looks like it might not be so vulnerable, being a bit shorter!

#3 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Interests:All things gardening, horses and a million and one other things that catch my attention.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

The Sasanqua Camellias are in full flush and the C.japonicas aren't far behind......the first is Desire such a perfect shape, then Mine-No Yuki, Volcano, Paradise Glow, Pure Silk , Sweet Jane and Bob Hope...

Winter2012 014.JPG Autumn in the garden 015.JPG winter 3 015.JPG

winter 3 014.JPG winter 3 005.JPG winter 3 011.JPG

winter 3 013.JPG

#4 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

Because my garden is small, I grow most of my bulbs in pots.....though the Jonquils and the Daffodils manage to find the soil...the purple of the Heliotrope really stands out in this dull light..as does the Anemone, the little median Iris is called "The Kiss"....it's a pretty little thing..

winter 3 002.JPG winter 3 004.JPG small things 028.JPG

small things 009.JPG a g 2 003-001.JPG small things 007.JPG small things 025.JPG

#5 chrissy T

chrissy T

BGI Secretary

• Pip
  • 7,850 posts
  • Interests:Gardening :) Brugmansias are my favorite but love all things that grow except most weeds.
    Been growing out some beaut American hybrid seeds (as you know we can only buy seeds.
    I am just a home gardener that like most of you fell in love with Brugs and wanted some variety in Australia there was not much.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Your garden is beautiful Dianne, I have never seen Just Joey in those pink shades before is it a Winter thing ? Mine were always in orangey tones.
Love the camellias and everything else too.

chrissy

#6 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

The Brugmansias are almost finished flowering, Ivoire still has a lot of buds, but the flowers are smaller than usual...the Tibouchina growing underneath the Brugmansias is called Jazzie.
It flowers from Autumn 'till Spring....The Proteas are Cream Mink and Possum Magic, I'd already picked the 4 of them for the vase....wonderful things Proteas...\The Osteospermums are the "Double Sensations" variety...

Ivoire 007.JPG Autumn in the garden 013.JPG Dahlia 003.JPG

More winter and the G Gardens 006.JPG Winter2012 020.JPG

#7 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi Chrissy, I have never had Just Joey flower so far into Winter......I can only assume it's because of the weather. Here it is in Spring..

Alistair, I think that it was Bunnings. As long as it has somewhere to sprawl, because it does need support.....the canes do harden up like the Tree Dahlias, but it doesn't die down.
It was bred by Dr Keith Hammet.......I'll send you some when it finishes....

Just Joey 004.JPG

#8 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

Alistair, this is how it grows......but it's beautiful.

more winter 2012 001.JPG Dahlias1 001.JPG

#9 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

Now for Salvias, Fuschias, Cyclamens and other little plants that colonize the garden....Cyclamens are a joy, especially the tiny white ones with their powdery perfume....mine aren't out yet but their buds are growing...

small things 015.JPG winter 3 006.JPG winter 3 017.JPG

Winter2012 009.JPG winter 3 010.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• Winter2012 006.JPG
  • Winter2012 002.JPG

#10 mike

mike

BGI President

• Subscribers-UK-Europe-Asia
  • Pip
  • 6,438 posts
  • Interests:gardening cars

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Lovely garden you have there Dianne I would not call it a winter garden in my book it's more like our Spring!!

Mike

#11 Al

Al

Gallery/Database Coordinator

• Pip
  • 15,424 posts
  • Interests:Plants, bonsai, bagpipes, food, herbalism, the Universe

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing, Mike.

Middle of winter??? :smiley-dunno:

It IS fascinating to see what the seasons are like in other gardens the world around.

THANKS for the tour, Dianne!!! I'd love to take the sniff-tour someday when we get "click-N-sniff" on our computers too.

#12 ShaunQ

ShaunQ

Advisor

• Pip
  • 3,090 posts
  • Interests:I love my Plants and BRUGMANSIA & Solanaceae are my fav type, looking at breeding & collecting as many as possible
    love the diversity in the group Just look in Pic's

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Dianne, What a lovely garden you have in suck as small area
your really got that GREEN thumb
Posted Image

#13 Hurstwood

Hurstwood

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 6,079 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Photography

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Lovely to see your garden and plants Dianne :-)

Like Mike and Al commented, it hardly looks like a 'winter' garden to us, lucky you.

#14 Edna

Edna

BGI Treasurer

• Pip
  • 12,647 posts
  • Interests:I love any type of gardening. I enjoy growing and hybridizing brugmansia. I love bird watching and all wildlife. Golf is another thing that I really enjoy.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Diane what a show for mid winter ! Such beautiful Camellia bushes . Every thing is lovely. I can't believe your garden is that small an you grow all that Posted Image

#15 alistair

alistair

Registrar

• Pip
  • 2,466 posts
  • Location:Valle del Cauca, Colombia (zone 12b) & New South Wales, Australia (zone 10b)

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Dianne :)

#16 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Pip
  • 7,755 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids. Growing brugmansias, cacti, bulbs, and anything green with nice flowers that grabs my attention. Hiking. Reading. Pets at home: 2 dogs, 4 cats. And of course, BGI forums!!!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Whooooo!! Your botanical garden is thriving in the middle of your winter! I really like the Proteas, so beautifully strange looking. The Iris is :thumbsup: though all the plants and blooms are wonderful :happy-clap: :blow:

#17 Dianne

Dianne

Advisor

• Pip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone....yes, it is more like a northern hemisphere spring garden.........
There is no fooling Mother Nature though, after 200 + years, all those northern hemisphere bulbs and plants flower in the season most suitable for them.. she knows it can get too hot in our designated Spring
months, even lambing starts in early winter in Victoria.....I love watching all those lambs bouncing around in their little gangs......they remind me so much of kindergarten kids, one leads and away they all race.

Here are a few more pics....the first is a Congo Parrot plant....(Impatiens niamniamensis) this grows so easily and if a piece breaks off it will root where it falls..it always has a few flowers on it.
the Azalea is Mardi Gras....I don't grow as many Azaleas as I used to....the long drought we had made them hard to keep...I still have a few though....the next is Charlie's Delight...
The Vireyas are always spot flowering, so at least a couple of them will be in flower at any time.
This Camellia is an old favourite, Cinnamon Cindy.....it has a light perfume and always flowers well....I think that it's name is half the reason why I like it...it just rolls off the tongue..lol
These Ardisias have lived in these pots for years, but they still set these bright little berries every winter...

W4 034.JPG W4 043.JPG W4 044.JPG

W4 042.JPG W4 052.JPG winter 2012 074.JPG

#18 Yolanda

Yolanda

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Absolutely positively GORGEOUS blooms!!!

#19 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Pip
  • 7,755 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids. Growing brugmansias, cacti, bulbs, and anything green with nice flowers that grabs my attention. Hiking. Reading. Pets at home: 2 dogs, 4 cats. And of course, BGI forums!!!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

Ahhhhh, so nice Posted Image

#20 WayneM

WayneM

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Sub Tropical gardening, Martial Arts, cycling, Pilates.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Some beautiful pictures of your Aussie garden's....freaks me out that this is your winter and you get this lovely plants.
Keep those picture's coming

Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users