mike

BGI President

• Subscribers-UK-Europe-Asia
  • Pip
  • 6,794 posts
  • Interests:gardening cars

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Cultivar Registration for Brugmansia and Datura

Since the merger of ABADS and iBrugs in Summer 2010 when they took over the official listing of new cultivar names from ABADS, iBrugs has failed to list our new cultivar names in its on-line Register. We have tried on many occasions to find out the reasons why, but so far to no avail.

iBrugs, as the ICRA (International Cultivar Registration Authority) for Brugmansia, is supposed to maintain and make accessible an exhaustive and up-to-date official list of cultivar names world-wide. One very important purpose for this official listing is to enable hybridisers to avoid giving new cultivars names which are already used, or which are so similar to ones already used that they will cause confusion.

When you are ready to choose a name for your new cultivar, be careful: all names are not listed by iBrugs. At present, the BGI database together with Monika Gottschalk & Alistair's list (in their new book) are the best places to look. iBrugs is missing a fair number of names when you compare their listings to ours and that in the book. We will shortly be updating our on-line records with those names appearing in the book that are missing from our database.

I would like to clear up a frequent misconception about registration. Registering a Brugmansia cultivar name means not much in itself: it is publishing the name in print that gets the name cemented (technically, 'established') in the plant world. Registering is basically just adding the name of your new cultivar to a list. Cultivar names submitted to BGI for registration are established, approximately quarterly, in the BGI Herald. Copies of the Herald are then sent to the ISHS (International Society for Horticultural Science), a selection of botanical libraries world-wide, and to iBrugs for inclusion in the official listing or Register.

Although recent cultivar names established by BGI do not appear in the iBrugs Register, members do not have to worry. New cultivar names submitted to us, though not listed by iBrugs, have been published correctly and in accordance with the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants and therefore must be recognized by the plant world.

This situation is not of our making. The Officers of BGI will continue with their efforts to have our cultivars entered on the official list

Mike

#2 Alvin

Alvin

US VP/ Gallery/Database Coordinator

• Subscribers-American, CA, AU
  • Pip
  • 15,838 posts
  • Interests:Plants, bonsai, bagpipes, food, herbalism, the Universe

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Excellent. And well said. Thank you Mike.

#3 karma happy toes garden

karma happy toes garden

BGI Member

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Thank you Mike! Maybe those that come her from the old ABADS and iBrugs will light a fire up under those at iBrugs and get this straighten out??

#4 EKANAGRAM

EKANAGRAM

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Interests:Botany, Law, Poetry, Spirituality, Humor

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Sticky please.

#5 karma happy toes garden

karma happy toes garden

BGI Member

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

I second Liz's potion!

#6 gone2seed

gone2seed

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 3,270 posts
  • Interests:gardening,honeybees

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yes to the sticky.New hybridizers need this info.

#7 EKANAGRAM

EKANAGRAM

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Interests:Botany, Law, Poetry, Spirituality, Humor

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

This situation affects hybridizers, growers, businesspersons, and Brugmansia fans across the board.
No matter where you establish membership in the community, you need up-to-date and accurate information regarding names and genetic history.

#8 chrissy T

chrissy T

BGI Secretary

• Pip
  • 8,499 posts
  • Location:Inland from Sydney Australia near the Blue Mountains.
  • Interests:Gardening :) Brugmansias are my favorite but love all things that grow except most weeds.
    Been growing out some beaut American hybrid seeds (as you know we can only buy seeds.
    I am just a home gardener that like most of you fell in love with Brugs and wanted some variety in Australia there was not much.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Please this a sticky. By popular demand :)
And thank you

chrissy

#9 Edna

Edna

BGI Treasurer

• Pip
  • 13,030 posts
  • Interests:I love any type of gardening. I enjoy growing and hybridizing brugmansia. I love bird watching and all wildlife. Golf is another thing that I really enjoy.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I did a sticky here and under Brugs only. I'd like for everyone to be able to see it, paid and non-paid members.

The officers were really hoping that ibrugs could get their 'official list' updated, and we have asked many times if that could be done. I'm not sure why it can't be accomplished. I would love to see a list that is accurate and up to date posted on ibrugs site for growers to be able to view.

It's not asking too much to be able to go to their site and be able to view the list. When choosing a name for your new cultivar this is so important. As it stands now, you can only guess if the name has been taken or not. This is not good !

#10 mike

mike

BGI President

• Subscribers-UK-Europe-Asia
  • Pip
  • 6,794 posts
  • Interests:gardening cars

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Edna I could not find my glue!!! I too hope iBrugs can get their act together, shortly we will be up dating our listings adding those we do not have listed from Alistairs book,we will let the members know when that is completed.

Mike

#11 Edna

Edna

BGI Treasurer

• Pip
  • 13,030 posts
  • Interests:I love any type of gardening. I enjoy growing and hybridizing brugmansia. I love bird watching and all wildlife. Golf is another thing that I really enjoy.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Mike.

Thanks to Alistair
our job of updating will be made much easier .

#12 alistair

alistair

Registrar

• Pip
  • 2,701 posts
  • Location:Valle del Cauca, Colombia (zone 12b) & New South Wales, Australia (zone 10b)

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

It is Monika Gottschalk who deserves more of the credit for the cultivar data in the book :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users