• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Subscribers-American, CA, AU
  • Pip
  • 8,065 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids. Growing brugmansias, cacti, bulbs, and anything green with nice flowers that grabs my attention. Hiking. Reading. Pets at home: 2 dogs, 4 cats. And of course, BGI forums!!!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hi you all expert gardeners!

I already searched a lot about growing musa plants from seed... But I wanted to know your personal experience if any of you by any chance has tried to grow Musaceae from seed. I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you very much :hug:

#2 rudy625

rudy625

BGI Advisor

• Pip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:gardening,my children,my grandchildren,my Golden Retreivers Missy & Marley, brugs,brugs,brugs

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

I haven't tried banana from seed yet,but I will watch this thread with interest,because I think I might like to give it a try. I just started some cannas from seed,and I guess from I have read,you treat them the same way.I ordered some canna seed from Alice Harris' website,and followed her directions. Nick the seeds,and soak in hot water and leave them in the water for a while. I soaked them for 3 days then planted in a seed starting mix. Much to my utter amazement,I got 99% germination,and they are now about 2 inches tall,and growing fast.All this in a 3 week period.I thought it would take longer to germinate,so I am really hyped,and bananas just may be my next project.I am mad at myself for not trying cannas from seed a long time ago,because it cost a heck of a lot less than spending an arm and a leg for canna plants at the local nurserys,but the large hard seeds put me off. Didn't mean to hijack your thread,but musa seeds and canna seeds are very similar.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0752.JPG
  • DSCN0753.JPG
  • DSCN0754.JPG

#3 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Pip
  • 8,065 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids. Growing brugmansias, cacti, bulbs, and anything green with nice flowers that grabs my attention. Hiking. Reading. Pets at home: 2 dogs, 4 cats. And of course, BGI forums!!!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

Dan, you are welcome to post anything anytime in a thread I've started. I'm growing cannas from seed too, and they were quick and easy. Here's a not so recent pic, where, to the left, you can see some of my Cannas and more that are not in the pic. But so far what I've heard about Musaceae is a completely different story and not good one... I have about 14 packets of different musa seed awaiting to be planted :huh:

IMG_3952.jpg

#4 Dana58

Dana58

BGI Member

• Pip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Interests:Flowers, Sailing, Camping, Cruising, Reading

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Nice cannas you guys! I've grown them from seed, but I've never tried bananas. Edna?? :belly-dance:

#5 Edna

Edna

BGI Treasurer

• Pip
  • 13,022 posts
  • Interests:I love any type of gardening. I enjoy growing and hybridizing brugmansia. I love bird watching and all wildlife. Golf is another thing that I really enjoy.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

Eddie gave me Musa Velutina a few years back. I gathered the seeds, then decided I didn't want to bother with them. I had them in a bucket and one day in January I was going to the green house, and decided to take them and dump them. I dumped them in a bed, and totally forgot them. Keep in mind we had many freezing nights after I did that. In late spring, I think everyone of those seeds came up. I was shocked. I took me a while to realize what it was... LOL

I would guess that different bananas need different things ? I'm not sure.

000_5322 (437x640).jpg

#6 poiuy704

poiuy704

BGI Member

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Brugs, passion flowers and any other tropical plants that don't belong in my zone! Breeding tropical fish, gardening

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

I grew a number of them a few years ago. I almost gave up on them after 3 months as they were so slow to germinate. Mid July it hit about 120F in the greenhouse for a few days and that seemed to get them moving. Most of them germinated within a couple of days. They reached about 3 feet the first year and up to about 7 feet the following year.

#7 mayja

mayja

BGI Member

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:gardening, ceramics, doll making

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

Bananas can take a long time to germinate, even up to a year. Once germinated you could say they grow just like Cannas. When they have a couple of leaves I put them in a rather big pot with rich soil. Once the grow is really going I regular feed them with dried cow manure,
Lots of water and they grow very quickly. Lovely plants to have. At the moment I do have a Musa basjoo ( sown last fall) and a Musa ventricousum Maurelli. The last one I didn't sow but bought it as a plugplant. Love this one for his red huge leaves, it doesn't get edible fruits.

Marian

#8 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Pip
  • 8,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thank you dear friends. Very informative.

#9 RyanWonderland

RyanWonderland

BGI Member

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I bought a "100% to grow" kit a while back at some store, and one of them came up, i planted it in a pot and it died in 2 days... I still have the other in the kit it came with so I'm hoping they'll come up, but what should i do when/if they do?

#10 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Pip
  • 8,065 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Ryan, warm, moist but ventilated soil, never soggy. Sunny place if possible.

#11 Alvin

Alvin

US VP/ Gallery/Database Coordinator

• Pip
  • 15,830 posts
  • Interests:Plants, bonsai, bagpipes, food, herbalism, the Universe

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

I've never grown a nanner from seed, but how long should you let a seed grow - once it has sprouted - but before you give it a bigger pot ?? :smiley-dunno:

They are impressive plants. I've often wanted to try one, but never had the guts to try.

#12 RyanWonderland

RyanWonderland

BGI Member

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

Well I'm putting it outside during the day when it's hot, and near my iguanas heat lamp at night.

#13 brugsinCR

brugsinCR

Advisor

• Pip
  • 8,065 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

Al, as with most plants, when you see the pot is almost full with roots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users